The Caldwells consist of three communities: Caldwell, West Caldwell and North Caldwell. The beauty of the Watchung mountains, with forests, streams and farmland first attracted settlers in the early 1700’s. The Township of Caldwell, which incorporated The Caldwells, Cedar Grove, Fairfield and Verona was formed after the Revolutionary War, taking its name to honor James Caldwell, a minister who aided Washington’s troops during the war. The town boundaries which exist today were defined almost a century later.
Caldwell and West Caldwell have a wide range of home styles, spanning hundreds of years. Although there is very little vacant land, there are some recently built townhouses and converted garden apartment complexes. There is a lively shopping district along Bloomfield Avenue, with restaurants, a movie theater and a host of retail establishments. The Caldwells are conveniently located close to Interstate 280, with easy access to New York and NJ roadways.
Caldwell (population 7,600) and West Caldwell (population 11,000) share aschool district. There are four elementary schools, Grover Cleveland Middle School and James Caldwell High School. There are numerous recreational options available for town residents, including a community center, several pools and a variety of programs administered by the Parks & Recreation Department.
North Caldwell (population 7,400) is a quiet, residential community built on winding roads and wooded hills. The housing stock is more contemporary than its sister towns, with most homes constructed in the 1950’s and 1960’s. Residents can partake in a variety of recreational activities, including tennis and swimming. Dining and shopping are available in neighboring towns.